Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Monday errr.....Tuesday Meditation


On this Tuesday, it is a story (instead of just a verse or two) from the Bible that has been pressing on my heart, so I thought it was appropriate to share:

Matthew 14:22-33 (NLT)
Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning[a] Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”
But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here![b]
Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
“Yes, come,” Jesus said.
So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong[c] wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said.“Why did you doubt me?”
When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.


I have read this story countless times. And I love it. But this time, I noticed something different. I felt like God showed me something new in this story that was so timely and encouraging to me in my current season of life.

Side Note: That is my absolute favorite thing about the Bible! It is always relevant to the here and now of my life. God continually uses verses and stories that I have heard countless times to teach me new things. Awesome.

In the story of Jesus walking on the water, it dawned on me that when Peter focused on Jesus, he was able to walk on the water. 
The moment that he took his eyes off of Jesus and focused on the storm going on around him, he began to sink.

Whoa.

Just let that absorb into your brain for a moment.

Recently my focus has been on the storm. And it does feel like I am sinking some days. 

And the mistake has been letting my focus change from God to what is going on around me. 

When I fix my eyes on my current circumstances, it gives the enemy an opportunity to tear me down even more. It becomes a downward spiral, and I tend to let whatever I am going through determine my attitude at that time.

This is not a good thing. For me or those around me. It puts me in a funk!

I need to remember we serve a mighty God who has the ability to bring me out of my circumstances. 
And even if he doesn't change my circumstances he can change my heart in the midst of them, give me his peace, and work every detail of my situation for good (Romans 8:28, Philippians 4:6-7) if I can just fix my eyes on him.

Its true for you too!

What is the current storm in your life that you are focusing on instead of Jesus?

Rejection
Disappointment
Failed relationship
Fear
Sickness
Loss

When Peter looked at the storm around him he became scared. And many of the "storms" we experience in life are scary and overwhelming. 

But Jesus tells us not to doubt him. 
To not be afraid. 
To take courage!

Its a commandment people!

If you are feeling overwhelmed by your current circumstances, feeling defeated, or rejected.

Take courage!

And if you need some ideas on how to get back on track.....

Get into the Bible and start reading!
Find a Bible based church where I can be fed and encouraged.
Listen to some praise and worship music.
Watch/Listen to sermons on the web.
PRAY!


I hope this story encourages you today as much as it did me.
Have a wonderful Tuesday!










No comments:

Post a Comment